It was pretty interesting when Apple officially announced their latest iOS 6 firmware version, people were eagerly waited to get in on their iOS devices like iPhone 4S/4, iPad 3 etc because there are a lot of additional features which seemed useful, includes Apple’s own maps application instead of online giant Google’s. But when it came available to iOS users, it dint like what they expected, but fair enough to operate.
Since iPhone 5 came with iOS 6 as the default OS, those users cannot do anything to change. Now, for those who owned an iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch which runs with Apple’s A4 chip are able to downgrade iOS 6 to the older version iOS 5.1.1 using the jailbreak tool redsn0w. Another potential reason to downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 is that you can jailbreak it untethered once iOS 5.1.1 started running on your Apple device.
But still there are certain things to be noted before you start the downgrade process on your A4 devices such as iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch 4G.
- Since this downgrade process using redsn0w will work with the saved SHSH and APTickets of iOS 5.1.1, you are not able to downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 if those needed things are not with you.
- For those iOS users who need an iPhone unlock should first create a custom firmware version with which it does not have the upgraded baseband and it should be pointed when redsnow ask to do while in the downgrading process.
How to downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch 4G using redsn0w 0.9.14b2 ?
- We highly recommend you to backup all your files before starting the iOS downgrade operations.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.14b2 [Windows, Mac]
- If you do not have the IPSW files of iOS 5.1.1, get it from here for all the Apple A4 devices.
- As you all know you need to connect your iOS device to a computer before using redsn0w, so do it. Then, extract all the files of redsn0w that you have just been downloaded from the above links which is either for Windows or Mac.
- Launch the jailbreak application redsn0w and put your device into DFU mode.
- From the opening screen of redsn0w, click on the button ‘Extras’ and then ‘SHSH Blobs’.
- When the screen for Extras->SHSH Blobs has been opened, you can see a button named ‘Slitch’ at the bottom, click on it.
- Here you need to point the IPSW files of iOS 5.1.1 by clicking the button ‘IPSW’, unlock users will do it with the custom firmware files. Then, just below that, you can see two buttons for selecting the SHSH blobs. Go for ‘Local’ if you saved the blobs locally. Use ‘Cydia’ if the blobs are saved in Cydia.
- Jailbreak tool redsn0w will create a new firmware version which you have to install after doing the following steps to keep the process legit in Apple’s eyes.
- Go back to redsn0w’s main menu and select ‘Pwned DFU’ from ‘Extras’
- After that Windows users need to navigate to Windows > System 32 > drivers > etc and edit the file named ‘hosts’. For Mac users, you can directly go to the ‘etc’ folder.
- In the ‘hosts’ file, you should add 220.127.116.11 gs.apple.com at the bottom and save it.
That’s all, now you can apply the firmware version by using restore option in iTunes. Open iTunes application on your PC and you can see you device connected and it shown on the left side, select it. Then start the manual restore by, left Alt + Restore (In Mac OS X) or left Shift + Restore (In Windows). Once it asked to point the IPSW files, browse to the file which redsn0w saved.
After getting iOS 5.1.1 installed on your device, you can jailbreak it untethered using Absinthe. Download Absinthe v2 from here for Mac, Windows and Linux.
Please let us know if you have faced any troubles while downgrading from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 or while jailbreaking your A4 devices using Absinthe.