As you all know it is just a matter of time once it has been released on Sunday. For those who have missed the jailbreak update regarding iOS 6 untethered on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini etc, it will likely to be in your hand on Sunday. Before that, if you are hardcore jailbreak fan and not yet tried it on the latest firmware version iOS 6.1, you can jailbreak it tethered using redsn0w. And the limitations are still there like the past, it will be worked only on A4 devices only. That means, if you are an iPhone owner, iOS device with you should be an iPhone 4 for performing this tethered jailbreak action. Successor versions of iPhone 4 like 4S and 5 do not support this tethered jailbreak on iOS 6.1.
Below you can find the complete tutorial to jailbreak iOS 6.1. Remember, this tethered jailbreak will work only with pre-A5 devices in iPhone and iPod Touch categories. Wait for a few more days if you have an A5 or its newest iOS device for a fully feathered untethered jailbreak on iOS 6.1.
How to jailbreak iOS 6.1 on iPhone 4 ?
- As the first step you need update your iPhone 4 to iOS 6.1 if you haven’t done it yet. Do it either via OTA update or iTunes. If you want to install iOS 6.1 manually, get it from the link given below.
- Since redsn0w is not yet updated officially for iOS 6.1, you need to have iOS 6.0 with you for this tethered jailbreak.
- Redsn0w version 0.9.15b3 is used for this iOS 6.1 tethered jailbreak.
- Once you have downloaded all the required files, launch the jailbreak tool redsn0w. Then got to Extras -> Select IPSW. Choose iOS 6.0. Wait a few seconds for redsn0w to recognize the IPSW file.
- After it is been done, click on the Jailbreak button. Then click Next and select Cydia. As the final step, put your device in DFU mode and follow the instructions given there. Rest of the process will be done by redsn0w itself. Once the jailbreak process has been completed, you need to select the Autoboot option.
You have now done a tethered jailbreak. So every time your device restarts, you need to have boot it tethered. For that you can use Extras->Just Boot option in redsn0w.
Like we told you earlier, untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 on iPhone 5/4s/4, iPad 4/3/2, iPad Mini etc will be released on Sunday. We will update here all you iOS devices’ need. So do not forget to stay with us for iOS 6.1/6.0.1/6.0 untethered jailbreak.